CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 28, 2013

The first snowfall

The first snowfall. Winter doesn't look good on my city. My friend recently moved to Germany and the view of this season is evocative of fairytales. I am an expat Canadian, snow looks awesome on Canada and the country has profited from it as it lures people to experience " The Great Canadian Winter". Aside from the rough driving conditions people can look forward to curling up to watch hockey on TV in their warm, centrally heated homes, drinking warm brandy in front of the fireplace yadda, yadda.


We don't have hockey here. The one skating rink closed down years ago although there are plans to build another one,  I vaguely remember signing a petition for it. I live on the Japan sea coast where the waves rise up ready to grab some unsuspecting pedestrian strolling by. The air sucks in its belly and spews out a harsh, full force wind that not only knocks you off your feet, navigates the most minuscule holes in your fabric to penetrate your thermal underwear but also has the ability to stop trains. IT STOPS TRAINS.....OFTEN!!!! And if the wind isn't enough, it has made some morbid pact with the rain to keep the good time rolling. It is cold, wet and windy. Our snow is sleet. Wool stinks olfactory wise at this time of the year, winter boots are useless as they never succeed in keeping your toes dry which means the pressure is put on rubber boots that are meant to keep the water out but has no concept of warmth. Throw in the perpetual gray sky and it is all a lethal mix. Seasonal Affective Disorder 100percent guaranteed or your money back!

But life is meant to be celebrated. My biggest dream is to be as simple as possible. Having  little children, I have learned that simplicity is survival. They were happy to wake up shivering, they gobbled up breakfast and pulled on those boots, gloves and hats with ease as if the in between seasons never occurred. They called me out into the technically crappy weather and started throwing wet snowballs at each other as they waited for the preschool bus. As I kissed their frozen cheeks I noted that those cheeks were taut and held up by big curved smiles. I want to keep their joy going. I made some cut-out cookie dough and selected some winter themed cutters from my stash so they can make their own warm snack. I think tonight calls out for board games and warm drinks maybe even dig out Christmas music. I still haven't figured out how to control the weather so I gotta make best with what I got.


0 comments: